Their popularity is growing, and more people do not even hesitate to make it their main home. However, there is a problem. The purchase of a motor home is even more complex than the purchase of a car because the number of factors to be taken into consideration is even higher. How to buy a motorhome and not regret it afterward?
The purchase of an RV is not limited only to choosing the most beautiful model (if one has the financial means to buy it) or choosing the cheapest model (if it is not the case). The first thing to keep in mind is that this vehicle must meet several specificities. I advise you to answer the following questions honestly.
- Do I have enough room to park it?
- Would I be able to find a parking space when I travel with it?
- Is its fuel consumption suitable for me?
If you’re only going to go to hard-to-reach places, it would be ridiculous to choose an RV that can’t drive around town just because it’s nice and comfortable.
These vehicles are sufficiently expensive, which is why they should be investments and should be chosen accordingly. There are several types of RVs.
- Pop-Up Campers – These are the simplest models. They are still referred to as trailers. These models are ideally suited for people who do not intend to make short, preferably medium-duration trips. The equipment in these RVs is minimal. However, it is comfortable enough to allow the owner to stop at a camping club or at the seaside or in the countryside.
- Truck Campers – The comfort they offer is already far superior to previous vehicles. This category is perfect for small families who want to make medium and long-distance trips, but do not want to spend money on accommodation. They are spacious enough to accommodate several people. There are not only common areas but also bedrooms. The ratio of quality, space, comfort and price is very interesting. The biggest advantage of these RVs is their versatility. They are perfect in the city and in the countryside, whatever the state of the roads where one will travel. Pick-up trucks especially had a unique charm that made them so appealing back in the day. In case you are considering buying a used truck, you can check this Used Diesel Truck Buyers Guide to make an informed decision.
- Small Travel Trailers – The perfect vehicle for camping. These vehicles are towable and with a bit of training they are easily maneuverable. The biggest drawback is the lack of versatility of the previous vehicles. However, they make up for this defect with an incomparable advantage: comfort.
- Fifth-Wheel RV – Like the previous models, they are towable. However, they are more spacious and luxurious. The only disadvantage of this option is that you will have to use a car powerful enough to tow it.
- Motorhome – Here there are several categories of RVs. These are classes A, B, B+ and C. Class A is the longest (up to 45 feet), the most comfortable and of course the most luxurious. Here there is no limit to the price. They can reach several million dollars. Classes B and B+ are shorter. The class B+ in terms of comfort is better than the class B and much more expensive. The class C is a kind of mix between the two previous models. Smaller than the class A models, but longer than the class B models, they are just as comfortable as the class A models.
It is therefore advisable to analyze in a cold head all the models, and their financial abilities.
Every owner wants to buy a new model. However, there is no need to be afraid to look at the possibilities offered by the used VR market. The first advantage of these vehicles is of course the price. The second advantage is that it offers the user the possibility to test different models. Rather than buying a new RV that is difficult to maintain, it is better to buy a used one. After a few months, you will better understand what you like and dislike. This knowledge will make it easier to choose the next RV.
This is the most common error. The future owner is so eager to purchase the vehicle that he considers two factors only: the price of the VR and its external condition. If the previous owner literally pampered his vehicle, we risk nothing. However, in the contrary case, one risks very well regretting for a long time to have carried out this purchase.
To avoid unpleasant surprises, I recommend that you hire a specialist who will examine the vehicle from every angle and provide a detailed assessment of all the advantages and disadvantages. It is only based on this information that you will have to make your choice.